The Pharmacy Manager is responsible for overseeing all pharmacy activities including the accurate and timely preparation and dispensing of medications and clinical pharmacy services. Provides day-to-day supervision of the Pharmacy team.
- BS or PharmD in Pharmacy from an ACPE accredited school of pharmacy
- Current licensure as a Pharmacist in the State of Florida
- Minimum one (1) year pharmacy experience in the home care or hospital setting
- Minimum three (3) years' management experience overseeing Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians
- Experience in IV preparation
- Consultant pharmacist license preferred
- Computer/data base experience
- Valid driver's license and automobile insurance per Company policy
- Ability to work on-call and shift hours
- Well-developed interpersonal and supervisory skills; ability to be tactful and understanding in contacts with patient/families, physicians, volunteers and other Company staff
- Highly organized and precise
- Analytical and thorough in work
- Satisfactorily complete competency requirements for this position.
Responsibilities of all employees:
- Represent the Company professionally at all times through care delivered and/or services provided to all clients.
- Comply with all State, federal and local government regulations, maintaining a strong position against fraud and abuse.
- Comply with Company policies, procedures and standard practices.
- Observe the Company's health, safety and security practices.
- Maintain the confidentiality of patients, families, colleagues and other sensitive situations within the Company.
- Use resources in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Promote the Company through participation in community and professional organizations.
- Participate proactively in improving performance at the organizational, departmental and individual levels.
- Improve own professional knowledge and skill level.
- Advance electronic media skills.
- Support Company research and educational activities.
- Share expertise with co-workers both formally and informally.
- Participate in Quality Assessment Performance Improvement activities as appropriate for the position.
Leadership Success Factors:
- Express thoughts and ideas clearly. Adapt communication style to fit audience.
- Originate action to achieve goals.
- Management Identification. Identify with and accept the problems and responsibilities of management.
- Make realistic decisions based on logical assumptions, which reflect factual information and consideration of organizational resources.
- Planning, Organizing and Controlling. Establish course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal; plan proper assignments of personnel and appropriate allocation of resources. Monitor results.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods in guiding others toward task accomplishment.
- Model highest standards of conduct and ethical behavior, adopting a strong position against fraud and abuse.
- Regulatory Compliance. Educate and monitor staff regarding their own and the organization's responsibilities for regulatory compliance.
- Oversee the daily operations and activities of pharmacists and technicians, providing direction, support and guidance, as appropriate; assign and direct work.
- Work with the Director of Pharmacy to coordinate pharmacy and clinical services.
- Participate in recruitment, hiring, training and on-going performance evaluation of staff; oversees interviewing, hiring, training new and existing employees.
- Assure that Pharmacists and technicians are complying with drug utilization activities, which prevent or eliminate drug-related problems, and promote optimal and cost effective drug therapy.
- Assure that all Pharmacy personnel have accurate and complete HR documentation completed on time (e.g., annual performance evaluations).
- Coach staff in operational activities to ensure compliance with Departmental and Organizational goals and objectives.
- Ensure that the pharmacy software database is updated correctly and accurately.
- Assist with the daily scheduling of Pharmacy personnel.
- Evaluate and supervise the processing of pharmacy orders.
- Assure the accuracy of medication orders by checking for the appropriateness of drug selection, dose, frequency, safety, dosage form, drug interventions, allergies and disease state interactions prior to dispensing of medications, as well as checking technicians' work.
- Responsible for timely delivery of pharmaceutical services.
- Clarify and solve problems, concerning medication orders, with prescribing Physicians.
- Assure compliance with Federal and State regulatory agencies, Joint Commission standards, and hospice policies and procedures.
- Participate in Interdisciplinary Group (IDG) process to discuss present patient status, progress, order changes, recommendations, and care plans.
- Perform all functions and duties of a Registered Pharmacist, as allowed by Florida law, required to assure appropriate delivery of pharmacy services to hospice patients.
- Assist with the continued implementation and management of all pharmacy services to meet the needs of the patients, consistent with the Company's mission, and all State and Federal regulatory requirements.
- Assist the Pharmacy Director in overseeing pharmacy patient services, policy implementation, patient satisfaction, and performance improvement.
- Ensure policies and procedures are followed, as required, to promote appropriate, safe and cost-effective medication use.
- Ensure patient and customer questions/concerns are addressed appropriately and professionally in a timely manner.
- Assess and monitor patient medication regimes and interpret laboratory results.
- Monitor and document patient progress by lab study evaluation, direct patient contact, consultation with nursing and physician staff and other appropriate clinical personnel.
- Contribute to and assist in gathering data for ongoing drug utilization activities, adverse drug reaction reporting, and other quality improvement reporting programs by active support and participation.
- Assist with development, implementation, monitoring and functioning within the Pharmacy budget.
- Assist with maintaining inventory control procedures for all drugs and supplies used by the Pharmacy.
- Assist in assuring narcotic inventory guidelines are followed.
- Assist with assuring the proper use and maintenance of all Pharmacy Department computer/data processing systems and the security and confidence of all data contained within those systems.
- Assure confidentiality is maintained regarding all patient information collected and used in the Department.
- Continuously seek to improve all aspects of the Pharmacy's services. Assist with coordinating Performance Improvement activities consistent with the goals of the Performance Improvement Program and with the needs and expectations of patients/families to whom Pharmacy services are provided.
- Assist with completion of occurrence reports, addressing causes and trends, and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Assist with establishing and completion of PI Monitors for Pharmacy Department.
- Serve as a drug information resource for all persons providing care to hospice patients, including hospice physicians, clinical and administrative staff, community physicians, caregivers, etc.
- Provide consultation to members of the interdisciplinary teams and Education Department regarding drug therapy and related patient care issues.
- Provide appropriate training and periodic evaluation of aseptic technique for employees involved in preparation of sterile products and in the handling of cytotoxic drugs.
- Assist hospice staff with correct documentation of patients' nutritional problems.
- Assure appropriate orientation program for new staff and annual competencies for all Pharmacy staff.
- Educate patients on safe and effective use of medications, side effects of medications, and the management of these side effects.
Communication - Interpersonal Skills
- Assure effective, cooperative, courteous and clear communication with Company staff, Physicians, outside agencies, other departments, peers and administrators, in order to meet patient care needs.
- Monitor attendance of staff at discipline specific meetings/in-services and staff meetings.
- Implement conflict resolution techniques with team members, peers, other departments, and administrators, to satisfactorily solve perceived differences.
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors consistent with the Company's Mission Statement and guiding principles.
- Assist with maintenance of a system for Pharmacist availability 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
- Participate in professional organizations through membership, attendance at local meetings, etc.
- Assume responsibility, as a self-directed professional, to identify needs and seek direction in identification of needs to maintain expertise and keep current with health care trends and practices related to specialty.
- Actively participate on Hospice committees; chair committees and task forces, as needed.
Assure that pharmacy work area is kept clean and orderly.
Perform other duties as assigned.